IBCLC® lactation consultants are recognised throughout the world as holding the premier global credential in the lactation care profession.
- Knowledgeable about up-to-date evidence-based practices in lactation as demonstrated through a rigorous exam process and re-certification at 5-year intervals.
- Focused on preventative care.
- Experienced in a wide variety of complex breastfeeding situations.
- Competent to assist mothers with establishing and maintaining breastfeeding, even in difficult and high-risk circumstances.
- Sensitive to the needs of both mothers and children as they work to help mothers meet their breastfeeding goals.
- Ethical in their practice, held accountable to Standards of Practice and a Code of Ethics, and working within a defined Scope of Practice.