With a focus on preventive health care, International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLCs) encourage self-care, empowering parents to make their own decisions, pre-natally and post-natally.
IBCLCs use a problem solving approach to provide information, recommendations and referrals.
They work in:
- maternity units
- domiciliary services and paediatric units
- neonatal intensive care units and special care nurseries
- lactation clinics, maternal and child health services
- parenting centres
- private practice as a Lactation Consultant
- general medical practice, and paediatric and obstetric practices
IBCLCs have a specialist knowledge of, and primary focus on, breastfeeding. They are the experts whom mothers and other health professionals turn to for skilled assistance.
The IBLCE Competency Statements identify and summarise the special knowledge and skills included in the role of the IBCLC.
For membership information see the IBCLC website.